During pregnancy, good nutrition is essential to ensure the good development of the fetus and safeguard the health of the mother. However, if you wait for a baby, you don’t just have to focus on nutrition. In this important phase, in fact, pregnant women gain weight more easily and must be good at following an appropriate diet. Playing sports during the nine months of pregnancy is therefore fundamental, obviously respecting the limits and abilities of every future mother.
In this article, we will present the two aspects separately and in detail. We will begin by giving you all the information relating to proper nutrition during pregnancy, to then complete the speech with some suggestions with respect to certain sports that will surely be for you. We repeat, the goal is twofold: to promote optimal growth of the fetus and strengthen the physique (and spirit) of the mother.
What to eat during pregnancy
What you will find below are some guidelines on nutrition in pregnancy. That is. these are some simple but effective tips on what is preferable to eat or drink. Moreover, to limit errors, we will also tell you what is best avoided. Are you ready to start?
- To ensure that you and your child have all the necessary nutrients and energy, we advise you to respect the rule of five daily meals. We are talking about breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with the addition of two fruit-based snacks.
- Keep yourself constantly hydrated, trying to drink at least 2 liters of water a day.
- Avoid eating raw foods like eggs, fish or meat. Always remember to wash fruits and vegetables well that you will eat raw.
- Follow a varied and balanced diet, this means that you will include foods of all groups: cereals, tubers, vegetables, fruit, milk, meat, eggs, fats, oils, and sugars. In the latter case, it is better not to overdo it and to prefer alternatives to refined white sugar (honey, cane sugar, stevia, maple syrup or agave juice).
- During pregnancy, pills supplements of certain vitamins and minerals such as folic acid, iron or calcium are often needed.
- Do not consume alcohol, tobacco or drugs. Alcohol consumption causes growth retardation, ocular and joint abnormalities, mental retardation, malformations, and spontaneous abortions.
- Reduce or eliminate coffee consumption during pregnancy. Studies show that caffeine crosses the placenta and can alter a child’s heart rate and breathing.
- Moderate salt consumption, remembering that there are processed foods that contain a lot of them, such as canned foods, sausages, sauces, and so on.
What sport do you do?
Let’s now see what sports are good to do during pregnancy, without putting the child at risk. As you will see, we have included disciplines that will be very beneficial both for him and for you. Keep in mind that you will always train in moderation, respecting your limits of strength and endurance. If you have never done any physical activity, the help of a personal trainer is certainly essential.
- Walking: certainly it is very useful during pregnancy and it does not involve any danger, unless your doctor advises against it, for some reason. Times and speed will depend on your physical condition and above all your habits. A sedentary lifestyle is absolute to be avoided.
- Running: this is one of the most recommended sports during pregnancy. To practice this physical activity, you will first have to undergo a small medical examination and it will always be the specialist who will show you how and with what intensity to do sports, also and above all based on the month of pregnancy you are in. Take the right precautions and do not overdo it.
- Gymnastics: this activity is perfect even if you have never practiced it since it adapts to pregnancy without problems. Postural exercises, of stretching or balance, will help you to come into harmony with your body, to sweat and burn fat but without too much effort. You will gain strength and mobility.
- Swimming: it is the ideal sport for pregnancy and can be practiced until shortly before birth, without particular restrictions. It is also a type of physical activity that improves circulation. Water exercises for pregnant women are perfect for working with the whole body and making you gain strength, with low impact. By training inside the pool, in fact, you will strengthen your muscles and joints without the danger of traumas related to natural weight gain.
- Yoga: it is a perfect exercise during pregnancy because, like gymnastics, it adapts to any woman without any problem. In this activity, soft and controlled movements will be performed in parallel with those for breathing, favoring flexibility and oxygenation of the body.
- Pilates: there is a type of pilates that involves training with a special ball, perfect for those who are pregnant. The Pilates method will help you keep fit, exercise your muscles, facilitate relaxation and help you prepare your body for childbirth.
As you have seen, nutrition and exercise are the two key elements that will allow you to face pregnancy in the best possible way. Take inspiration from these guidelines and, in any case, always ask the specialist for advice before applying drastic changes to your lifestyle.